A combination of many things can lead to your home being targeted by criminals. Are you inadvertently an easy target? Or have you ever unwittingly presented a criminal with an opportunity to enter your property?
When safeguarding your home from burglars these are the things you need to consider.
Protecting your home from burglars isn’t only about what type of security system you have. Sure internal protection and external security plays a key role but there are also many other ways that you, yourself can prevent break-ins.
To protect your home from being targeted you have to think like a burglar and look for potential safety risks on your property. Make breaking into your home as difficult as possible with our list of safety tips:
- When leaving the house do not leave anything open, particularly doors and windows.
- Never leave a spare key hidden outside your home as potential burglars could come across it or see you hiding it.
- Cut any tree limbs that could help a burglar to climb the tree and into your home.
- Trim any bushes close to doors and windows that could conceal somebody.
- Ensure you have all the relevant emergency numbers on speed-dial.
- Test your alarm at least once a month to ensure it is working properly.
- If you can, invest in automated gates. It is safer for you to remain in your vehicle when arriving home and accessing your property.
- Another good investment is automated outdoor lighting. You’ll be glad of this if you arrive home alone after dark.
- Whether it be internal protection or outdoor safety, when installing security systems ensure your security provider is a registered member of the South African Intruder Detection Service Association (SAIDSA). This will mean their services and equipment meets the industry standards.
If you want to go one step further, we offer a free risk assessment service. We’ll locate which areas on your property are potential security risks and advise you on how best to upgrade your home’s security. The best part about this is you don’t even need to be an Eller customer to qualify for this service.
Contact us on any of the following:
Landline : +27(0) 12 342 6177
Cell1 : +27(0) 84 327 6291
Cell2 : +27(0) 79 879 6138
Fax : 086 609 7337
Email : email@example.com